There is no point in arguing which type of fireplace has the most gorgeous flames. Wood burning fireplaces are, and will always be the most elegant and the least expensive fireplaces on the market. Regardless of what people think about a wood fireplace, the most important thing is to take care of it. Your fireplace is the heart of your home. This is why you need to learn everything you can on how to maintain a wood burning fireplace.
Taking Care Of Your Wood Fireplace
The first thing you’ll be asking yourself is what will I do with the ashes? Always leave an inch of ashes in the bottom, this way it’s going to act as an insulator during the months you’re using it. Also be sure to clean your firebox with a dust mask and gloves weekly if you’re using it regularly. Remove any extra ash with your shovel and bucket tools that came with your fireplace. There are multiple ways to use the ashes; the most common being to use it to melt ice in the winter months.
Something you will want to watch is the accumulation of creosote. Spotting creosote is easy because of its darkish color or black substance that builds up if the wood is not burning completely. The moment you see an accumulation of creosote it is imperative to remove it with creosote remover as soon as possible.
Safety First When You Own A Wood Burning Fireplace
When you own a wood burning fireplace be sure you get everything inspected and cleaned by a professional chimney sweep on a regular basis, especially if you buy a house with one. Once this is done, the key is to monitor your fireplace every time you use it for any signs of buildup or other problems. Accumulation of creosote is a very dangerous fire hazard and that’s why it must be removed quickly. And it’s the same thing for soot. Soot is softer than creosote, but still dangerously flammable and regularly needs to be cleaned. Wood burning fireplaces need maintenance and regular inspections to ensure they remain in good working condition.
One last thing, to improve your wood burning fireplace’s efficiency you should consider buying heat-proof glass doors to protect against heat loss and a fan to direct the heat in to the room. This way you will be protected from the escaping live embers.